Monday 17 December 2007

I Am Legend: Highest-Grossing December Opening Ever

http://www.britfilms.tv/images/news/The%20Last%20Man%20on%20Earth%20is%20Will%20Smith%20I%20Am%20Legend%20Trailer%20Online.jpg

Talk about a prophetic title: I Am Legend has proven to be, well, legendary. Taking in $76.5 million in its opening weekend in the US, the Will Smith sci-fi thriller beat out Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($72.6 million) to become the highest-grossing December movie ever. In the history of box office sales in general, I Am Legend's opening weekend is the 16th highest-grossing of all time.

In addition, the updated CGI version of Alvin and the Chipmunks did extremely well, bringing in $45 million. By contrast, however, The Golden Compass drastically underperformed at the box office, coming in third place but totalling just $9 million in sales its second weekend in theatres. Enchanted came in fourth place with No Country for Old Men rounding out the top five. The returning film that did the most pleasingly is Atonement, which jumped from No. 15 to No. 9 on the charts, this weekend bringing in $1.8 million. Yay!

I actually went to watch The Golden Compass and I have to say the figures say it all. I thought it was a very interesting storyline but the ending didn't leave me very satisfied. It just ended and I was sitting there like 'IS THAT IT??' I'm looking forward to watching Enchanted and I also don't want to miss out on Atonement. Alvin and the Chipmunks isn't my sort of thing but I will probably be dragged along with friends. I Am Legend is one of those films you just know will be AMAZING! Will Smith is one of my favourite actors so I won't be missing out on that hunk. Can't wait!

No comments: